squad FHBFAS black and white

In early 1936, six members of the Far Hills - Bedminster Fire Company traveled to Somerville once a week for ten weeks to receive basic training in first aid. After the intensive program, members decided it was time to purchase an ambulance. The first ambulance was housed in the rear of the firehouse. Prior to this, local doctors did everything they could for their patients. Anything that went beyond their scope of expertise, they sent to a local hospital.  Patients traveled mostly by private car, but there were special cases in which patients traveled by an ambulance sent by the local hospital.

Eventually, the fire company got their own ambulance. The first ambulance was a Nash, which did not provide for a very smooth ride. Thereafter, Cadillacs were purchased. Then, in 1941, the Far Hills-Bedminster First Aid Squad was incorporated. It separated from the fire company and became an independent entity, able to make its own fund raising and spending decisions.

The charter members were: Leslie Apgar, Jack Clelland, Arthur Hall, Edward Kouflie, Bard Moran, Raymond Olson, Harold Sueter, and Nelson Wortman. They were all members of the Union Hook & Ladder Company.

In 1961 the squad purchased Plectrons for toning calls to members regarding location and reason for call. Prior to this, The Welsh Family, volunteers of the fire company, would receive the emergency call and sound the alarm. Once additional members arrived at the fire house, they would find out the nature of the emergency.

3 guys fhbfas
e072fb_5e37c86e15bf43e5b12d387d683bf2f8

Eventually, the fire company got their own ambulance. The first ambulance was a Nash, which did not provide for a very smooth ride. Thereafter, Cadillacs were purchased. Then, in 1941, the Far Hills-Bedminster First Aid Squad was incorporated. It separated from the fire company and became an independent entity, able to make its own fund raising and spending decisions.

The charter members were: Leslie Apgar, Jack Clelland, Arthur Hall, Edward Kouflie, Bard Moran, Raymond Olson, Harold Sueter, and Nelson Wortman. They were all members of the Union Hook & Ladder Company.

In 1961 the squad purchased Plectrons for toning calls to members regarding location and reason for call. Prior to this, The Welsh Family, volunteers of the fire company, would receive the emergency call and sound the alarm. Once additional members arrived at the fire house, they would find out the nature of the emergency.

Also in 1972, the squad started looking for property on which to build their own building. The property was found in Bedminster. Each member was asked to draw a sketch of what they though the building should look like. Finally a composite was chosen and construction began. The building was finished and dedicated in 1974.

Today, the squad consists of qualified drivers who are required to have CPR training, and EMTs who are now required to attend many other courses due to the changing world. Our squad also has a Junior Squad consisting of a number of young men and women ages ranging from 16-18.